Swim Open Water
Swim Open Water
Open Water Swim season is here as of Thursday 18th May 2023!
Come join us every Thursday 6-7:30pm (8pm in summer) throughout May-Sep at Blithfield Reservoir Sailing Club, Waters Road, Rugeley, WS15 3DU. Here are some exciting new developments for you this year:
- We’re delighted to offer you a cafe with hot/cold drinks/snacks to enjoy before & after your swim, friends & family are also welcome to enjoy this service whilst spectating indoors or outdoors
- Dogs are welcome however must stay on a lead outside the clubhouse
- When the weather looks good we'll be hosting more social picnics & BBQs by the waterside for swimmers & spectators (so keep an eye on our social media to join us) including a joint social with the Sailing Club so we can get to know each other better
- Our Head Coach & OWS Rep will launch our new Open Water Coached Courses (for both Beginner & Intermediate as well as our Adult & Junior Members) watch this space for more info soon ...
We are very privildged as a club to have exclusive access to OWS at our local Blithfiled reservoir, in partnership with our friends at Blithfield Sailing Club. Our OWS is open to the public for £6 as well as Stafford Triathlon Club members for £4, there's no need to book, just pay on arrival via our card machine (please note we're trying to go cashless so card only) & if it's ever cancelled we will announce it in advance asap.
Upon arrival at Blithfield Sailing Club please drive through 2 gates and turn right into the car park, then you'll find us inside the Clubhouse (you should open/close each gate as you drive through) & please note the gates may have a padlock wrapped around them but it shouldn't be locked so you can remove it to enter.
For safety reasons, before anyone can open water swim with us, you MUST:
1. sign a new decleration form each year
2. be able to swim at least 800m
3. bring your own wetsuit as well as a whistle & brightly coloured cap (or towfloat) which are purchasable upon arrival for just £3 each
4. follow our Safety Rules & Code of Conduct when swimming with us
** children are welcome to swim as long as they are accompanied by an adult in the water at all times & wear a tow float & meet the requirements above
Finally we'd like to say a big thank you to all of our club volunteers who help make these sessions possible, without your support we wouldn't be able to host such a fantastic OWS for everyone (here are some instructions on managing a session & remember you receive a free swim on us every time you volunteer!) Additionally, here you can find our Risk Assessment & Emergency Action Plan & Safety Checklist & Water Quality Guidance to familiarise yourself with ahead of our OWS sessions.
Furthermore, we are delighted to launch our new OWS Coached Courses!
Please sign up to our JUNE Beginners Course or Intermediate Course before they’re full *limited spaces*
- You must join or already be a member of Stafford Triathlon Club
- Cost: £10 per 1 hour session (plus usual club fee £4 member swim)
- Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a place
Places are limited to 8 but if the courses are popular we will repeat the sessions in July/August. Beginners - no previous experience of open water necessary but must be a confident pool swimmer. Intermediates - should already have some experience of OW swimming.
More Member benefits with Blithfield Sailing Club:
We are excited to tell you more about our growing partnership with Blithfield Sailing Club at Blithfield Reservoir.
Included in your membership with Stafford Triathlon Club, all our Staffies are now welcome in the clubhouse for free (usually £34 House Membership) for both our Adults & Juniors.
- very reasonable prices on drinks & snacks sold at the clubhouse bar/kitchen
- use of the largest reservoir in Staffordshire with opportunities to join in the Sailing Club’s activities & events (from learning to sail, windsurfing, wingsurfing, foiling, wing foiling, racing or simply having fun, there is an activity for everyone)
- use of Clubhouse facilities during our sessions and the sailing of Radio Controlled model boats
If you require anymore information feel free to email our OWS Rep email@example.com